Sunday, July 1, 2007

Some of My Favorite Places

Working for code for change and PIRG has kept my mind coming back to the Environment. Living in the state of Colorado it's not hard to think about it. With the mountains so close and looming over Denver all the time, and calling me to come and play. But I've noted a disturbing trend over the couple of decades I've been here. Time and time again I've found that there is a house or a fence or some other obstruction or sign that says one of my favorite hiking spots is off limits now. And from what I can tell whomever "bought" that piece of land now basically controls access to that huge chunk of State or Federal Park that now lies out of my reach.
One in particular was near Moffat Tunnel. We used to hike there two or three times a year. Then one time we were greeted by a 12 foot high horse fence at the trail-head. We had heard that access was supposed to be granted, and the owner saw us and welcomed us to cross, but didn't open the gate, we had to climb over.
Another spot is on famous Mount Evans. There is a house and a road somehow inside of what used to be park land. Barbed wire and warning signs are also to be found. It's a sad thing. And I know with time that there will be more and more of this happening. I don't go to those old spots anymore. So I guess who ever they are has won. I guess I let them.

No comments: