Thursday, June 14, 2007

OpenID and me

The first thing I thought when Wes suggested OpenID to to authenticate the users was "this guy is geekier than me, how did he ever find this?". OpenID basically allows someone to create their own little signature in the web that can be used for authenticating their entry into different websites.
To create my OpenID I went to MyOpenID.com and entered a username and my password I wanted to use. Now I have an OpenID of http://mflynn.MyOpenID.com which works very nicely to get me into a number of sites.
When I go to sign into a site I just use mflynn.myopenid.com as my OpenID and I am taken to the MyOpenID site where I give my password, not at the site I want to enter. Then I get redirected back to the site I'm interested in using as an authenticated user. Pretty nifty if I do say so. Now all I have to do is figure out how to implement this on our end...
Should be fun!

Matt

4 comments:

Donald Lobo said...

i assume u'll are aware of:

http://www.openidenabled.com/openid/libraries/php/

and are planning to use an already existing library :)

lobo

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how this fits in with CiviCRM. There is no logging-in since it's a module. There is a Drupal OpenID module in the works (I think it's going into core for Drupal 6).

Matthew Flynn said...

Thank you for the information lobo. With some work-arounds that is the PEAR link we used to get started! http://www.openidenabled.com/openid/libraries/php/

We got close to including it today but there were some issues and a tight deadline so we had to push it back a week.
Dalin we are working to make CiviCRM into a standalone CRM agnostic system which won't use a front end like Drupal or Joomla, so we will be adding some authentication features.

Wes said...

I think Matt meant "CMS agnostic" there. :)